The 8 minute abs workout to sculpt a six pack!
Add this fast and effective 8 minute abs workout – that requires no kit and not much time – to the end of your main weights or cardio session to start sculpting a lean, hard and defined set of six pack abs, says New Body Plan creator and Men’s Fitness cover model Jon Lipsey
If you’ve listened to the New Body Plan podcasts you’ll have heard Joe Warner and me discuss why it’s best to do your abs exercises at the end of your weights workout. If you missed that episode, or any others, you catch up with all of the New Body Plan podcast episodes on your favourite podcast player or here.
The trouble is that by the time their main body-part specific workout is completed, most people are running short of time, energy or motivation to then train their abs, and so miss out on sculpting a stronger, leaner and more defined core.
8 minute abs made easy
That’s where this six-move bodyweight-only abs circuit really comes into its own. Why? Because it requires very little space, no specialist kit and can be done in just eight minutes. What’s more, it targets all the key areas of your abdominals for big-impact physique and performance improvements.
All you need to do is complete your session, then attack this circuit hard. Why? Because a tiny little bit of extra effort then will go a huge way towards carving the sculpted stomach that defines all athletic physiques!
The 8 minute abs circuit
How to do it: Do the following six moves in order for the number of reps state without rest. After all the reps of the final move rest for 30 seconds then repeat the circuit. Do a total of four circuits.
Targets: Upper abs
• Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, and bend your arms so your fingers touch the sides of your head.
• Engage your abs, then raise your torso off the floor without tensing your neck.
Keep the tension on your abs as you slowly lower your torso back to the floor.
• Make each rep harder by not allowing your upper back to touch the floor between reps.
Targets: Upper and side abs
• Lie flat on your back with your fingers by your temples and legs straight.
Raise your torso off the floor, engage your abs, and then lift your feet off the floor.
• Crunch up and rotate your torso to one side, bringing your opposite knee in to touch your elbow.
• Reverse the movement to return to the starting position – without your upper back or feet touching the floor – then repeat on the other side.
• When you’ve rotated to both sides and returned to the start, that’s one rep.
3 Mountain climber
Targets: Lower abs
• Get in the press-up position with your arms and legs straight and your wrists directly under your shoulders.
• Without letting your hips sag, draw your left knee up towards your left elbow.
• Straighten your left leg, then repeat, bringing your right knee towards your right elbow, then back out again. That’s one rep.
• Keep your abs engaged throughout and keep the reps fast but controlled.
To find your perfect transformation plan, take the New Body quiz!
Take the New Body quiz!
4 Diagonal mountain climber
Targets: Lower and side abs
• Stay in the press-up position and without letting your hips sag, draw your left knee up and bring it towards your right elbow.
• Straighten your left leg, then repeat, bringing your right knee towards your left elbow, then straighten it.
• Again, keep your abs engaged and the reps fast but controlled.
5 Plank toe tap
Targets: Entire core
• Get into a plank position, supporting yourself on your forearms with your elbows underneath your shoulders.
• Engage your abs, then raise your hips so that your body forms a straight line from head to heels.
• Keep that tension on your core and squeeze your glutes.
• Without letting your hips sag, lift and move one foot out as far as you can to the side.
• Tap your toe down on the floor then bring it back in and repeat with the other foot. That’s one rep.
6 Plank shoulder tap
Targets: Entire core
• Stay in the plank position with your wrists underneath your shoulders and your body straight.
• Keep your abs and glutes engaged and don’t let your hips sag.
• Lift one hand off the floor and tap your opposite shoulder. Return it and repeat with your other hand. That’s one rep.
Got a question?
If you’ve any specific questions about New Body Plan, or health, fitness and nutrition in general then please don’t be a stranger! You can find me and the team across social media on @NewBodyPlan or send an email to email@example.com. We are here to help you build the leaner, stronger and fitter body you want!
Find your perfect fat-loss plan!
Take the New Body quiz!